Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default corrugated asbestos garage roof, how to spread my weight?

On 24/08/2020 13:46, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher explained :
I used to sunbathe on my parents asbestos corrugated garage roof.
Hidden behind a parapet. I wouldn't jump on it, but it was safe to
walk on for sure.

The main problem with asbestos roofing, is that it suddenly and
without warning just shatters under your weight. Unlike most roofing
materials which will complaint before they collapse.

so just like slates, tiles, strawboard covered with felt...

No, not like those at all because corrugated asbestos tends to be
nailed to joists with quite a wide spacing and no tile battens,
sarking or anthing else. Just self-supporting asbestos sheeting,
whereas a proper roof will have rafters generally spaced no more
than 18 inches apart with cross nailed tile battens too, so you have
more chance of just putting one foot/leg through

I really think people are far too panic stricken about asbestos. It
takes a lifetimes exposure to a lot of dust to **** your lungs up.

I agree on that point.