Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Welding on Galvanized Steel

On 8/23/20 10:31 PM, wrote:
I started to read how to weld on Galvanized steel, and quickly found how dangerous it is. But I was watching some videos on U-Tube where zinc plated nuts are being welded to sheet-metal. Is it safe to weld a few nuts to some sheet-metal or steel stock ? Or should you just not heat up zinc at all ?

Thanks

It really isn't that dangerous. You won't drop dead if you
accidentally inhale a little of the fumes. We used to weld couplers
to 8" galvanized pipe. That would be about a 24" bead. Use 6011 rod,
turn the heat up a bit compared to non galvanized, and stay upwind.
Open doors and windows if you have to do it inside.