Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Undated Kodachrome slides ? date

On 23/08/2020 17:04, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/08/2020 15:34, Andrew wrote:
Just been looking through some boxes of other peoples
old slides that I bought a few years ago in house
clearance shops.

One box has a mix of slides marked 'made in england'
with no obvious date. I thought Kodak always stamped
or printed the processing date ?. Does anyone know
when this became common practice ?.

I have lots of cardboard mounted kodachrome from the late 60's early
70's that my FiL took. Stamped mode in england, but none dated IIRC.

Not sure if that tell you much?

Some of the old Kodachrome slides with card mounts have 1970 and 1974
printed on them, so I guess any without are 1960's.

In the same box are some Kodachrome slides marked
'made in usa' and these do have a printed date - Aug 61.

all mine are UK...

I think Kodachrome was only ever sold with a pre-paid development
envelope in Europe, while in the states it was sold without the
cost of development. In the states there were a number of private
labs doing Kodachrome processing. In Europe Kodak did it themselves
(using a 12-stage process involving nasty chemicals and an additional
light exposure stage).

The colours are as good as original, by holding them up
to daylight.

Yup same here - I did scan them some years back. Kodachrome tend to scan
with a slightly blue cast.