Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Zanzibar effect

Interesting one about multi-meters in a BL service instruction booklet.

To set the TPS (throttle position sensor) as fitted to early (1980) Rover
V8 Lucas injection.

It is a large carbon pot sitting across 5v (nearly) and provides a
variable voltage out by throttle position. Quite a chunky device with twin
wipers, so a lot more butch than the average volume control.

It is adjustable, and the original way to set was to use a BL special
tool. You set it to null a couple of LEDs. No doubt cost a fortune.

The later Land Rover guide gives a method using a volt meter. Pic shows a
DVM - rather than an AVO 8, etc. You connect to output and ground and set
it to 0.325v +/-0.025v.

It's the note below which is interesting:-
CAUTION: The following adjustment must be made using a voltmeter set to a
maximum scale of not more than 10v. If a voltmeter of more than 10 volt
scale is used the potentiometer will be irreparably damaged.

Try as I might, I ain't got a fooking clue what they're on about. ;-)

just wondering why you started a new thread?