Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_3_] Dan Espen[_3_] is offline

Default Casette Tape vs Online Music continuous play

micky writes:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 20 Aug 2020 20:47:06 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Is that Roberta FLAC?

FLAC is the other completely lossless audio format.
If differs from WAV which is used on audio CDs in that it's compressed
and therefore smaller than WAV.

Most other audio formats introduce loss, if you convert back and forth
a few times eventually the audio will be a mes

That brings up another question. Other than youtube videos and some
news on the PC, just about everything I watch I record off the air on a
Philips DVDR. I use the lowest quality SuperLongPlaying, because I
don't care about the picture quality and it's always good enough, and I
can get more programs on the hard drive before it fills up.

But if I used a higher quality, would that make the sound better as well
as the picture? I only care about the sound.

On Law & Order and occasionally other stuff, I have a hard time
understanding because of the music, but surely the original was
understandable.. On some shows I can understand clearly, but every so
often a whole syllable is missing. I'll play it 3 times and it's
definitely missing. It's not that my hearing is getting bad. It's
too late to record that exact thing at higher quality, but in general,
if the picture is recorded at higher quality, will the sound be also
recorded at higher quality???

Because I can put in a bigger hard drive and have room for just as many
shows but at higher quality, 2 or 3 times the equivalent of feet per
minute.

I'm far from an expert but my understanding is that audio and video
are recorded as 2 independent things. They're in one file but the
encoding is separate. Note that the video might be 60 frames per second
but the audio might be 44khz.

My hearing IS bad. I don't hear high frequencies well in one ear.
I have the hardest time hearing movie audio even with hearing aids in.
Women that speak softly in crowded rooms is another challenge.
I've been trying to pay attention to what I can't hear because the
hearing aids can be adjusted to compensate. Hopefully my next visit
will result in improvements.

For my audio I wanted the master copy to be 100% lossless so that
if I had to convert to some other format like MP3 I wouldn't be
in a situation of doing WAV-MP3-WAV-OGG and getting a mess.
I'm not worried about space. I started with gigabyte drives but
now I'm using Terrabyte SSDs. Lots and lots of space.

--
Dan Espen