Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default Sticky Black Rubber

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 08:11:35 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

No its been an issue for years, some shavers cameras binoculars and
sundry other things even portable radios do this. Its not a cheap
Chinese crap problem its the actual material used that leaches the very
substance that makes it feel like rubber. In fact one famous cassette
mechanism made by Wollensac was notorious for the pressure roller
suddenly turning to a gloopy buddle on the bottom of the deck due to
this issue.
Its just not stable enough over time. It can get worse if its subjected
cold and hot temperatures as well as mechanical deformation.

I'm sure there is a chemist out there who can tell us the technical
reason.
Brian

Ok Brian thanks, I have the parts soaking in a weak vinegar solution at
the moment, that should kill the stickiness if it is silicone based.
Youtube items suggest acetone, but that is too harsh and could dissolve
the item. Isopropyl alcohol might be a good choice.