Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Fuses

On 19/08/2020 21:14, tony sayer wrote:
In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
On 19/08/2020 00:19, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 16:42:03 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott wrote:
Most want something to work, before considering safety.

True, but I have never encountered an appliance not working due to
being fitted with a 1 amp or 2 amp fuse.

Not even a fan heater? ;-)

I had an early colour TV. Said 500w on the back. But needed a 13 amp
fuse...

The degaussing coils created quite a surge at switch on,

That's the kind of thing that T rated fuses are for. Fitting a regular
13A in those circumstances is just plain dumb.

BS 1362 plug fuses are in effect T rated anyway - there is no quick blow
equivalent. If your CRT switch on surge will blow a 5A fuse, what other
choice did you have (given that anything other than 3, 5, & 13A was not
readily available at the time)

Used to work years ago in a TV repair shop mainly Phillips G6, G9 and
G11 chassis sets all CRT ones never remembered having to put large fuses
in them had to wire on the mains plugs and could swear blind we only
used 5 amp ones!

I was making a general point, but perhaps for a TV it would in most
cases be closer to say you need 5A but looking at the ratings plate and
not understanding issues like inrush, my opt to fit 3A then have
problems with seemingly random blows.

They would and could blow their fuses internal ones triacs and the like
playing up..

AFAICR the degauss coils had some sort of limiter to stop a large surge
and then they had another device to get them to fade down the magnetic
field to de-mag the tube, don't ever remember them playing up either!..

Some seemed to just place a PTC thermistor in series with the degauss
coils such that as it heats up is reduces the current through the coils.
A fairly crude solution since it then sits there running very hot most
of the time the set is on.

--
Cheers,

John.