Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Adjusting the pendulum of a grandfather/mother/daughter clock so it keeps good time

"Radio Man" wrote in message
My suspicion is the escapement is worn so the going train (the gears
which, in simple terms turn the hands) arent being released consistently
or imparting the impulse to the pendulum consistently.

When the pendulum is grossly too long, the wear is masked. As you correct
the length, the wear problem dominates.

Ah, right. The clock is due to be examined by a reputable clock repairer in
due course, so we'll see what he says. First priority is two other
granddaughter clocks (they all belonged to my grandparents) which don't go
at all for more than a few minutes which suggests that the pendulum is not
being given repeated "kicks" to keep it swinging. The one I was trying to
adjust is a lower priority because it runs and keeps fairly good time:
having to correct it by a few minutes once a day and to keep it fully wound
(or else it stops) is a small price to pay.