Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default What's wrong with the world. (was DIY Dentistry)

"newshound" wrote in message
.. .
On 19/08/2020 20:20, michael adams wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...

Why does everything have to be binary? Is it some pervasive consequence of having a
digital world?

The trouble with the binary view is that it gave us Hitler, Stalin, and Mao,

So that for you, with Hitler, Stalin, and Mao it's not an open and shut case then ?

Unlike "binary" people who condemn them out of hand, for you they also had their good
points.

Which then raises the question as to why you chose them as an example in the first
place.

Does it not ?

michael adams

I pick them as examples because they came to power in broadly the same same way as
Johnson, Trump, and the other current populists. They successfully sold a single big
lie.

Mussolini might have been a better example than Stalin. They probably all had some good
points, but their standing in history really does not look very good. I think it is
unlikely that this will ever be substantially reversed.

I'm sorry I'm stil not sure why you chose those examples or exactly what
point you're trying to make.

The biggest example of a binary thinker in politics in recent times is undoubtedly
Margaret Thatcher. As far as she was concerned, you were either for her or you were
against her. This is exactly what Margaret Thatchers supporters admired her
for and still do, She had dehfinite opinions and had no time for the waffkers who
they claim had allowed Britain to drift into the mess it became.
Other people claim she wrecked British industry and that her philosophy was totally
flawed. She was and remains a binary figure who splits opinion down the
middle.
..
Similarly Hitler would have been stopped in his tracks had British Polictians
paid more attention to Winson Churchill in the 1930's Ubfortunately by that
stage Chiurchill was already a binary figure - most Condervatives regarded
him as a disloyal over ambitious windbag with very poor judgement.
It was only his personal friends among politicians who had any time for him.

He was only chosen as the new PM because all the other candidates
were proven non-binary wafflers who'd run out of ideas..

And I can assure you that had Churchill not been pretty "binary" in June 1940 in his
attitude towards Hilter in resisting the entreaties of the Italian Ambassador
while its not exactly a case that you'd be speaking German right now, but things
would certainly have worked out differently.

michael adams