Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default I'm running out of Turbo Ultra screws - are there alternatives?

On 19/08/2020 10:35, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 17 August 2020 22:09:24 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/08/2020 11:15, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 09:13:41 +0100, Chris Green
wrote:

snip

I'm not sure why they were discontinued, it may be that their
downsides (fairly easy to break, easy to damage the heads)
caused too many complaints - though once you had learnt their
weaknesses it wasn't much of an issue.

Agreed ... but once you do they are fairly special.

Alternatively maybe they weren't making a profit, they were
certainly cheap compared with a lot of other stainless screws.

+1

I'm with you where anything that's likely to love outside is
assembled with stainless. This is because of how often even
fairly new fasteners have rusted to the point where they can't
easily be undone, or they stain, or rust away and then fail.

You may find this interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IIsQr9aY_k

Thanks, John.

Near the end, he shows a gate hinge with seemingly unrusted screws in
it.

We have an almost identical hinge on our gate. Two or three screws
are looking horribly rusty. The rest look untouched - just like in
the video. I didn't fit it, but all the screws look identical. And it
reflects my real-world experience. Some rust and some don't - even
from the same batch.

The high position of his test screws would tend to dry out in a way
that one near the ground on a fence post might never.

Does the material screwed through make a difference? Some sort of
electrolytic effect when through a metal object?

I would expect it to have some effect - especially on woods like Oak
with high tannin content.

Does it make a difference if you had to use an impact driver to get
the screw in which might cause much more damage to any plating? It

Can't say I have noticed a difference on the screw. You are possibly
less likely to chew up the head with an ID.

might only be if the particular screw/wood combo was especially
tough. Which just possibly might explain some being bad and others
not.

Were your failing ones "goldscrews"? (I have not used those in any
quantity), but I have found the quicksilver twinthreads seem to last well.

Four years ago, I used some decking screws. Brownish ones (make? no
idea now). They look as new. So, when I had to make another bit of
decking, I used similar ones (though this time, green).

They are usually passivated and then have an extra finish for colour
matching. That probably gives them a bit more protection.

While we might hate the look of rusty screws, I know I do, it seems
feasible that using, say, a 6mm silver or gold screw might take very
much longer to rust to the point of failure than a similar 4mm screw.
Yet be less expensive than a 4mm stainless.

When using 4mm, I like the Reisser "cutter" screws - those seem much
stronger than the turbo gold, and have a much tougher finish.

--
Cheers,

John.