Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Fixing a toaster - am I on to a loser here?

"Scott" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 23:16:43 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

"michael adams" wrote in message

The original idea which originated with motor manufacturers in the US
was to prevent manufacturers from monopolising repairs by forcing them,
and everyone else, to publish all the documentation covering their products
which would be required by independent repairers. Should they be repairable

Strangely enough none of this seems to take account of the original
IBM PC and subsequebt clones which apart from proprietory ROMs
were deliberately designed so as to be easily assembled by anyone capable
of wielding a screwdriver, from parts from a variety of manufacturers
bought off the shelf. So "the right to build your own" then.

And then along came Apple.

I think real computers are the last bastion of user-servicable parts
(as opposed to 'no user servicable parts').

I changed a graphics card or USB card or something and told my brother
(who works in IT). His reaction was; 'Did you open up your computer?
I have worked in IT for 25 years and I have never opened a computer.'

Apart from the case screws holding down the power supply, expansion cards
and hard disks and motherboards (and maybe other stuff) everything else
is just about a matter of joining up different sorts of connectors or
plugs. Its hard to think of any other product which has ever been made
which was deliberately designed so as to be so easy to assemble.

The same may still be true of Apple except unlike PC's you're limited
to fitting proprietary parts as a matter of policy.

michael adams