Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default emergency tyre repairs

In article , Jethro_uk
writes
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 17:17:54 +0100, Pancho wrote:

I was told the reason they got rid of the spare wheel was partially due
to being able to quote better fuel efficiency.

Well it's incontestable that removing 15-20 Kg of weight that has to be
lugged around for every mile of a cars life cannot do anything but reduce
fuel consumption.

It would interesting to speculate on how much it saves the motorist over
the life of the car. I could easily see it straying into hundreds if not
thousands of pounds.

Against that you need to weigh the chances of having a puncture together
with the inconvenience of not having a spare. Which while the end of the
world for that person at that time doesn't really happen often enough to
justify the permanent carrying of a spare.

last time I fitted a spare wheel, it went flat 400 yards later (****ing
cowboy tyre fitters) and I was still stuck. That was 1988.

Accountants will do anything to knock a few pence, never mind pounds off
the production cost per unit of cars.
--
bert