Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default DIY Dentistry

On 19/08/2020 08:46, michael adams wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message

Private practice in medicine has a long history/tradition of cutting
corners/costs to increase profits at the expense of patient safety. I
doubt dentistry is any different.

Its precisely the opposite. Private medicine often funded by insurance is what drives
a lot of research into new medicines and treatments, This goes for vets as well
as human doctors. Years ago if you took bonzo or tiddles to the vet with something
serious there would be a long face from the vet and advice to put them out of their
misery. Nowadays you can keep bonzo or tiddles alive almost indefinitely
providing once the pet insurance runs out, you've got the odd few grand to
spare every few months.

None of this would have happened without pet insurance or had people still been
taking their pets to free animal clinics,

I don't keep pets, but it seems to me that people who do are condemned
to vast expense directly or via insurance premiums as a result of this
change in priorities.

--
Max Demian