Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Fuses

On 19/08/2020 00:19, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 16:42:03 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott wrote:
Most want something to work, before considering safety.

True, but I have never encountered an appliance not working due to
being fitted with a 1 amp or 2 amp fuse.

Not even a fan heater? ;-)

I had an early colour TV. Said 500w on the back. But needed a 13 amp
fuse...

The degaussing coils created quite a surge at switch on,

That's the kind of thing that T rated fuses are for. Fitting a regular
13A in those circumstances is just plain dumb.

BS 1362 plug fuses are in effect T rated anyway - there is no quick blow
equivalent. If your CRT switch on surge will blow a 5A fuse, what other
choice did you have (given that anything other than 3, 5, & 13A was not
readily available at the time)

--
Cheers,

John.