Jim

Default Making a hardwood curved stage

Hey guys

I have a 'stage' for my home theater project that is about 11' wide and is
curved...about 2 feet deep in the middle and 1 foot on the ends.

First off, I know how to physically make the curved cut, I issue is how to
do with and look like hardwood...either solid without seams or hardwood
flooring strip look..and get the edge treatment right, now on to the
questions:

- My best case is a solid piece of hardwood...red oak for example...with
bullnose front edge...this could also be hardwood strips like a floor if
necessary.

For this idea, big radius to make from solid piece with router or jigsaw
since it would require at least 12" x 11' piece and a lot of waste. I guess
I could use hardwood flooring and then cut the curve and round over the
upper edge or put on a molding that is thin enough to curve but a finished
solid piece would be better.

I could try to get a hardwood shop to manufacture this I guess.

- Second idea...use MDF and veneer....well...does someone sell longer sheets
of veneer then 8'? using a 2' x 11' piece veneer would be great...but still
leaves the outer edge...my wife would prefer not a square edge, but bull
nose or other edge treatment or the molding option again. Other option is
veneered plywood but I havent seen 11' foot veneered plywood either.

My fall back is just MDF and paint...my initial idea was to carpet it...wife
doesnt like that idea.

- I am thinking as I type that using hardwood flooring maybe my best bet and
use a thin oak molding to wrap around the curve....getting a REALLY nice
curve cut would be nerve wracking....or I get a finish molding that just
overlaps the top surface to hid the joint. hmmmm..

Help?
Thanks
Jim