Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Fixing a toaster - am I on to a loser here?

On 18/08/2020 15:51:17, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 15:28:24 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 04:04:20 -0700 (PDT), Dave N wrote:

However, when you turn it over to take the top cover off it appears to
be fixed to the base using four fixings like this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UVzMuB43adyfNWJ58

They look like push-on star nuts, so probably near-impossible to remove,
and are also recessed by about 10mm, so even harder to access.

Presumably the 6 "legs" and ring are the same height as the central
dome, so you'd need something the profile of the dome to try and
rotate the fixing. But as you say it does look push on so that might
not help much unless it has "scrivit" sort of action, push on but the
barbs form a "thread" and the fixing can be unscrewed,

Can you push a pin down the central side of a "leg"? Thinking that if
they are sprung inwards onto a pin, 6 pins might release them
allowing the thing to lift away.

Aren't they just a 'System Zero' (alike?) security screw?

I'm pretty sure you are correct. I wasn't sure what they were called.

The OP will find the driver tool costs more than the toaster.