Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Band saw guide rollers

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 21:50:02 +0100, T i m wrote:

The blade guide rollers on my c.40 year old Burgess bandsaw are

badly worn and because of it's age replacement guide rollers
appear
unavailable. They appear to be made of nylon, 13mm o/d, 5mm i/d,

10mm long.

Measured with what OOI?

I'm sure Steve on "The Repair Shop" would just turn up a suitable bit of
nylon in the wink of an eye, but I haven't got a lathe like he has!

Few have these days.

Why do you need a lathe?

Get hold of a suitable short length of rod (eBay?) of say 15 mm dia,
cut a 10 mm length, carefully drill a 5 mm hole in the centre, fit a
snug bolt and nut through the hole with washers each side. Firmly fix
some abrasive paper on to a hard flat surafce. Put end of bolt in
power drill and with the drill running rub the nylon squarely on the
abrasive until you have the desired dia. Perhaps starting quite
coarse if you have a lot to remove then progressively finer to the
finished dia.

If you have a pillar drill with a table that can rotate fixing the
abrasive to the vertical table that can be swung against the
nylon/bolt in the chuck should produce a very good result. With less
agro than trying it handheld.

Or even have good dig about on eBay for rollers. Perhaps intended for
some thing else, garage doors? But I think they are nearer 20 mm dia
and not sure how they are fixed to the bar. You get the idea though.
B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.