Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Fixing a toaster - am I on to a loser here?

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 18/08/2020 16:52, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

The thing is, is it worth the effort? Most of those I've had have had
limited serviceability, normally nothing at all and all riveted together,
some have a small panel that can allow changing of the flex or maybe even
the cleaning of the switch mechanism secured by some security screws with a
dire warning next to it. Most I've actually broken into use a simple module
made in china with elements kind of laced around some kind of high
temperature card and usually the element breaks somewhere at a bend and as
all the elements are in series the whole thing stops. Quite how the frost
button etc work, I've never looked but it sounds pretty mechanical.

Non serviceable appliances are offensive, even if replacements only cost £5. Whatever
happened to "right to repair"?

The easier you make electrical items to repair by DIY'ers the easier it is
for the more incompetent to render them unsafe and possibly electrocute users
or burn their houses down. Obviously some DIY'ers are still going to do this
providing they can source spares, but this isn't something manufacturers want
to encourage. As this may be a source of unwelcome publicity if nothing
else.

While the labour cost of the time it would take a skilled repairer to dismantle
an item designed for machine assembly, would often be greater than the cost
of the item.

Whereas in the days when stuff was assembled by hand the difference might
not have been as great. And as hand assembled items cost more in the
first place, there would have been greater incentive to repair them.

michael adams