Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Is this cobbled together rising main acceptable?

On 18/08/2020 16:54, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 16:41:00 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 18/08/2020 16:33, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 16:14:30 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 18/08/2020 14:15, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 13:53:58 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

Can you post a photo showing what it looks like?

Thanks I'll try to get a decent photo of the situation.

Is there now a meter in each flat, or are all the meters in a single
location with individual supplies to each flat?

I Imagine that the original single plastic pipe branched off at every
flat on the way up.

Since the meters, which are all on the lawn outside were introduced
this branching has been replaced by straight patches of dissimilar
pipe.

Then where does this orphaned pipe actually go ?. If your meter
is outside then a separate supply must have been installed to each
flat, with all the disruption that this would have entailed.

I suspect the pipe with patches supplies the top flat, while all
the floors below have a their own dedicated supply from their own
meter. If so, it is the responsibility of the person on the top
floor to have it replaced with a continuous run of new pipe.

I see what you mean. As I understand it the management company is
responsible for the services, the maintenance of which is payable from
the service charges to the whole community. It seems this charge is
kept low by the management company failing to maintain the services,
then when damage occurs laying the cost on indivdual flat owners.
This is comfortable for the general population and painful for the
individual.

You didn't answer the question though. Which flat is connected to
this patchwork pipe ?. why wasn't a new run of blue plastic pulled
through to replace it ?. Sounds like penny pinching to me.
These are the questions you need to find answers to.

Apologies the patched pipework does supply the top floor flat.

But the management company is responsible for the services and if they
fixed it properly the recurring problems would end.
It would be a tricky business for an individual flat owner to be
responsible for services running through other peoples flats.
That's my understanding of why the management company exists, to take
such responsibility.

the fact that any pipe goes through a number of floors (how many?)
raises the question of fire stopping. A kitchen fire on the ground
floor could travel up this void and affect other people.

How come only one patchwork pipe travels through your flat ?.
how many floors are there and how do the other floors get their
cold water supply ?.

isn't the 'management' company just you and all the other flat
owners ?.