Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Fixing a toaster - am I on to a loser here?

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 04:04:20 -0700 (PDT), Dave N
wrote:

Our toaster (a cheap 12 year old Philips model HL-5224) has died and I've been looking at taking it apart in case there's a simple repair possible such as fixing a loose connection.

However, when you turn it over to take the top cover off it appears to be fixed to the base using four fixings like this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UVzMuB43adyfNWJ58

They look like push-on star nuts, so probably near-impossible to remove, and are also recessed by about 10mm, so even harder to access. I've tried a small flat blade screwdriver but don't think I can get the leverage I need as the fixings are recessed.

Can anyone suggest how to remove the cover without breaking it, or am I on to a loser?

I just had a similar issue with an Aldi/Lidl battery charger that has
an intermitted pushbutton switch but they were just tri-wing type
screws and came out with a tri-wing bit and where they didn't, a flat
bladed bit with the gap in the middle (so one 'leg' was inside the
hole and the other on the outside).

So, if you have the right bit or can file a slot in an old flat bladed
screwdriver they may well come out easily. Once out you can replace
them (as I'm doing with this charger) or saw a slot across them?

Cheers, T i m