Posted to uk.d-i-y
JohnP JohnP is offline

Default Fixing a toaster - am I on to a loser here?

Dave N wrote in
:

Our toaster (a cheap 12 year old Philips model HL-5224) has died and
I've been looking at taking it apart in case there's a simple repair
possible such as fixing a loose connection.

However, when you turn it over to take the top cover off it appears to
be fixed to the base using four fixings like this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UVzMuB43adyfNWJ58

They look like push-on star nuts, so probably near-impossible to
remove, and are also recessed by about 10mm, so even harder to access.
I've tried a small flat blade screwdriver but don't think I can get
the leverage I need as the fixings are recessed.

Can anyone suggest how to remove the cover without breaking it, or am
I on to a loser?

TIA,

David.

I had one where crumbs whould sometimes prevent the solenoid holding
down the toast holder and it switching on. A good thump fixed it.

Sadly - it is easier and cheaper for makers to say "no user servicable
parts" and make them hard to open to deter you from trying. They attempt
to reduce liabilities.