Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Fuses

On 18/08/2020 11:41, wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 August 2020 00:33:28 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/08/2020 22:09, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 21:57:17 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 17/08/2020 16:59, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 16:20:35 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 17/08/2020 14:04, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 02:12:17 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Why do you think the system was introduced with 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 and
13 amp fuses unless a lower rated fuse had safety benefits?

For the limited cases where overload protection is useful. They will all
handle fault currents.

Whatever you call it, if there is only 2 amps of it instead of 13 amps
nothing will convince me that is not safer.

Define safer?

define waste of time

An elderly person getting ripped off after a blown fuse is 'diagnosed'
as a non-repairable item.

So if your life support system were to fail with a blown fuse when there
is a mains spike because some well meaning but uninformed person
replaced the manufacture fitted 13A fuse with a 2A one "because its
safer", that would be better?

With respect 99.999% of appliances are not life support. That different safety issues apply to that miniscule percentage is not news.

Most (many) domestic fires these days are caused by fake chargers and
/or rechargeable devices, including genuine ones that were not fakes.

Wibbling about fuses doesn't seem to be relevant to these.

You can include Soviet colour TV's in that group, but not our problem,
though Hotpoint/Beko white goods are, even though they are fitted with
the 'correct' fuse.