Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default I'm running out of Turbo Ultra screws - are there alternatives?

T i m wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 09:13:41 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

snip

I'm not sure why they were discontinued, it may be that their
downsides (fairly easy to break, easy to damage the heads) caused too
many complaints - though once you had learnt their weaknesses it
wasn't much of an issue.

Agreed ... but once you do they are fairly special.

Alternatively maybe they weren't making a
profit, they were certainly cheap compared with a lot of other
stainless screws.

+1

I'm with you where anything that's likely to love outside is assembled
with stainless. This is because of how often even fairly new fasteners
have rusted to the point where they can't easily be undone, or they
stain, or rust away and then fail.

Anything I've assembled using SS fasteners can generally be undone and
the fasteners re-used. ;-)

The last example was the electric fence and general screw replacement
and reinforcement on daughters rescue rabbit hutch and run. When it
needed to be taken to bits it all unscrewed quickly and easily and the
SS Turbo screws handed over to the next owner for re-use. You couldn't
say that for the steel screws that were still part of the original
assembly.

Exactly my experience Tim and that's why I use only stainless outside
now. The easy dis-assembly is a major advantage.

--
Chris Green
ยท