Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default Submerged softwood?

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 14:03:08 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Dry heat and vacuum before adding the wax should work, but I don't want wax
vapor condensing and clogging the tubing and pump.

Yes should have thought of that. pyotr filipivich sums it up nicely
up thread a bit. Do not need to start any more boondoggles. Not even
sure our vacuum pump still works, has not been used in at least 27
years. If it does have a much better use for it in the planning
stages.

The molten wax can be heated well above 212F, so the submerged wood should
be sterile before the wax seal its ends. I think the large quantity of steam
that escapes removes most of the air as well. I leave the wood submerged
until the bubbling nearly stops, then cool the pot slowly.

Though of a way to dip just the corners of assembled hive bodies
last night. A "V" shaped trough. End grain where they are finger
jointed together is where most rot starts so it should work. And
take less than $50 verses $500+ to fill it with wax.
--
William