external usenet poster

Default how do I replace rotted bottom plate on my shed

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 4:16:57 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 12:07:50 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 8:54:23 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 8:28:38 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 12:21:14 AM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
On 8/17/2019 7:24 PM, TimR wrote:
I got my shed reroofed this summer. The roofer replaced some rotted sheathing on the roof and side. I don't do roofs, at my age my balance isn't reliable.

Now I see the bottom plate is rotted on a couple of sides. We had the rainiest fall in history, and I had a roof leak in that area.

Update: The bottom plate was not just rotted in a couple places. Three 12 foot long walls were completely gone - you could remove sill plate with a broom. The bottom few inches of most studs would crumble in your hands. I don't know what held the roof up.

I worked one wall at a time around the perimeter, supporting the rafters, cutting the studs, pulling out the old sill plate, putting back pressure treated 2x6 over a vapor seal, sistering studs full height as well as replacing what I cut off, over this summer. The hardest part was removing the corner posts. I finished yesterday during the rain. If I could get a nut off an anchor bolt I reused it, if not I drilled for tapcons.

I did ask a contractor to bid on it but nobody wanted to, and I can see why, the cost would have been more than a new shed probably.