Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default Submerged softwood?

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 19:12:19 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

With that setup you can also fill the wood with plastic resin.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Res...bilizing-Wood/

I boil wood in paraffin wax to weatherproof it for outdoor use, like pulley
sheaves and antenna insulators. The above-boiling wax makes the water sizzle
out. The urethane wax in toilet bowl rings is less brittle at low
temperatures.

I've been using a small Gast rotary vane pump on my vacuum oven if there was
much water to remove, and running it open afterwards to dry it. Has anyone
had a problem doing this?

Ah, you might make a good beekeeper Recently took up this rather
eccentric hobby and wish I could afford to set up a wax dipping tank
large enough for assembled hive boxes. Hopefully will eventually
have a shallow pan that can do bottom boards since they rot out
first. Today most are using paraffin and microcrystalline wax 50/50.
Apparently at one time 2 parts paraffin to one part gum rosin was
standard. This guy, http://bushfarms.com/beesdipping.htm uses
natural beeswax instead of paraffin.

Wonder if you could combine heat and vacuum to get the wax even
deeper into the wood? Not aware of anyone doing this.

As to resin stabilized wood, go to a blade show and there will be
venders selling knife scales in every wood you can imagine. As well
as weird stuff like pine cones and corn cobs.
--
William