Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Problems drilling hard concrete and using screw anchors

On 15/08/2020 20:09, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 15/08/2020 19:10, John Rumm wrote:

I assume Bosch spent a lot of R&D time on the cutting edge geometry to
come up with the best compromise for masonry/metal/wood. The ability of
those multimaterial bits to drill through rebar when drilling concrete
is especially useful, as ordinary bits just come to a halt. I've just
found what might be the next step - the SDS quick Multi-Purpose Drill
Bit:
https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/sds-quick-multi-purpose-drill-bit-2762960.
Not SDS Plus, though. They have been around for some time, but don't
seem to be available from Screwfix (but are from Amazon). Have you ever
used one of these?

No not tried those.

I also had a close look at one of my add on chucks, and noted that does
have the full SDS+ flute pattern, so in theory could be hammered. I
might have to find a masonry bit I don't care about and try and see what
happens!

What else would you be doing on a quiet Sunday in August?!

Well I was fixing some metal fence post brackets to the top of the wall,
so needed to get the SDS out, so though while here, I can look at the
bits :^)

--
Cheers,

John.