Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mix for installing handrail in garden steps socket

How long is this drainpipe and hence how deep is the hole?. Assuming you
have it deep enough etc, I think it should be OK, at least in the short
term. .
I've seen it done before with that grey old Marley pipe and it never seemed
to split or crumble.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David" wrote in message
Hi Folks

Had some garden steps built a couple of years ago and we now have a steel
handrail to install.

The bloke who built the steps put two pieces of plastic drainpipe in the
concrete to allow the handrail to be installed later.

Questions
Will a 3:1 sharp sand/cement mix be ok to fill in around the steel
uprights?

If I mix this quite runny (but not ridiculously so) to flow into the
spaces around the uprights, will I get any shrinkage when it goes off?

I'm going to leave the plastic drainpipe where it is. I had thought about
getting it out with a hot air gun, but would prefer not to if no need. Am
I wrong?

All suggestions and answers welcomed!

Ta

David