Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default can bad cap = hot motor?

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 19:56:04 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Yeah, I'm betting that the cap is as old as the motor. I'll take your
advice and replace it. I don't understand how the current can be
different if there are only two wires feeding the motor. What am I
missing?
Thanks,
Eric

Not likely, but if one of the windings is shorted to ground or the
capacitor is leaking to ground the current could be different.

I guess the cap could indeed be leaking to ground. It has a brass case
after all and the case may be touching metal. I will be replacing the
cap and that will hopefully solve the heating issue. I'm certain it
will speed up the startup.
Eric