Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default shock in electrical panel learned something new

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 15 Aug 2020 11:15:18 -0500, dpb
wrote:

On 8/15/2020 9:14 AM, TimR wrote:
Okay, it would have been obvious to most of you but it just didn't occur to me before.

I'm near finishing my shed repairs. I have about 3 feet to go on sill plate, but needed to take electrical outlet boxes off studs, and I cut the power just to be extra safe. I'm glad they used sturdy steel boxes, I'll be able to reuse.

The only way to cut power here is to pull the main fuse block. When
I put it back in, I got a good jolt. Not just a tingle. WTF? It's
plastic, or bakelite or whatever you call it. Yeah the handle is
steel, that little wire bail thing, but it didn't hurt when I pulled
it out.
So when I had a moment I went back with better light and a meter. Oh
hey, there are large brass screws on the front of the fuse block,
just below the level of the plastic, and the holes are big enough to
have your finger slip in there when you push the block in firmly.
Nothing else was hot. So obviously I slipped a finger or thumb or
even both onto a screw and got shocked. Damp day, concrete floor,
sneakers but they're on the damp side, so I was probably at ground,
or maybe even hit both screws and got 220.

So, now you know better for next time!

If you wanted, stick a rubber plug in the holes or just tape over them,
but now you know they're there, you'll remember to keep hands on the
nonconductive parts, so I'd not worry about it.

You were right the first time. He should plug or cover the holes.
He's not the only one who will use the box, now or the next owner's
family.