Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problems drilling hard concrete and using screw anchors

On 15/08/2020 19:42, Roger Mills wrote:
On 15/08/2020 11:01, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 14/08/2020 21:07, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 14/08/2020 15:43, John Rumm wrote:

If its like the add on chuck I have, then the pattern of slots on the
shank stop it seating far enough back in the SDS mechanism for the
hammer to hit it. So in hammer mode, you would still feel the vibration
from the anvil flipping back and fourth in the drill, but it would not
be striking the chuck. (and the sound is different, since there is no
metallic "clack" as the shank is struck).

I'll check tomorrow and compare shank patterns.

As you said, it is different.

So I wasn't getting the hammer action I expected. I must invest in a 6mm
SDS drill bit!

Good idea! Be careful to get the length you need. The quoted length
invariably includes the shank, so the the depth of hole you can drill is
a lot (60mm?) shorter.

Yes, I'd found that out (see my first post)! They quote 60mm, although
the flutes go to 75 or 80mm. In practice, provided the hole is
frequently cleared of dust, 100mm is possible, as there is room in the
flutes for the last 20mm of created dust.

As noted in my latest reply to John Rumm, I've just come across SDS
quick multipurpose drill bits. They seem ideal, except I'd need to buy a
new drill!

--

Jeff