Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Water Pressure Regulator - Good idea to reduce by 50 psi?

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 3:37:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 15:19:47 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 1:06:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 22:00:17 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 8/10/20 2:50 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Dean Hoffman writes:
On 8/10/20 12:33 PM, wrote:
Some cut.
Most things are rated at 100 PSI or so but stuff like pipes and valves
should be able to take much more than that. Even garden variety white
PVC is rated 480 PSI. Copper and galvanized, more than that.

That 480 psi must be a typo instead of a dummy attack.

Yeah, must be a typo. The piece of 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe
I have in my hand is printed with 600 PSI at 73 degrees Fahrenheit
(and a manufacturing date of 1988).

Well, I never would've imagined pvc pipe was that strong. I
wasn't planning on it but I learned something. I got curious if what
we'd always called 80 psi pipe was that.
I looked up the supplier to see.
https://www.kroyind.com/catalog/pdf/cat12.pdf#page=1

Even the thin wall PVC they use for sprinklers is 200 PSI.

Who uses PVC for sprinklers when poly is cheap, flexible, installs with
simple clamps instead of glue, etc? pvc is not used around NJ, that's
for sure.

Since the frost line is basically zero, sprinkler lines are usually
right under the sod and subject to damage.

Same here, they get winterized, run about 8" deep or so. Basically the
pipe is low enough to accommodate the head and a right angle fitting.

These days a reputable
sprinkler company might be using Sch 40. That might also be to make
them harder for the homeowner to fix tho so they get more back end
business. I do know the folks with sprinkler systems are always
screwing with them tho and that included the commercial operations my
wife managed. They had a guy and his helper who did nothing but
maintain irrigation on the golf course and he was a busy guy, She had
another guy who just did irrigation in the common areas but he usually
did have enough spare time to keep 40 toilets flushing.

One huge advantage with poly pipe for irrigation is that it can be pulled
with a machine that just leaves a small slit, no digging of a trench for
a pipe. They can pull 100 ft of it in a few minutes. That's a big labor
savings, far less of a mess too.