Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Mix for installing handrail in garden steps socket

Hi Folks

Had some garden steps built a couple of years ago and we now have a steel handrail to install.

The bloke who built the steps put two pieces of plastic drainpipe in the concrete to allow the handrail to be installed later.

Questions
Will a 3:1 sharp sand/cement mix be ok to fill in around the steel uprights?

If I mix this quite runny (but not ridiculously so) to flow into the spaces around the uprights, will I get any shrinkage when it goes off?

I'm going to leave the plastic drainpipe where it is. I had thought about getting it out with a hot air gun, but would prefer not to if no need. Am I wrong?

All suggestions and answers welcomed!

Ta

David