Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need cap for residential A/C service valve

On 8/15/2020 9:54 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 8/15/2020 9:37 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
I topped off the R-22 in my ancient home A/C yesterday, and when
putting it
all back together, I dropped the cap for the service valve.Â* This is the
thing with about a 3/4" hex and a cylindrical dome above it, that
seals the
valve stem of the service valve.Â* I thought the cap was steel, and
searched
the whole area with a strong magnet, then assuming maybe it was brass I
searched some more with my hands, but still have not found the darn
thing!
I'd swear I saw where it dropped, too, but just a minute later it was not
there.

Anybody know where I could get one of these?Â* This is for a 44 year-old
Bryant condensing unit.Â* I looked on eBay, but nothing came up.

Thanks for any tips,

Jon

HVAC FLARE CAP

They are inexpensive usually brass and readily available from a
refrigeration supply shop.Â* The service port is typically a male flare
taper and thread, and the service port cap usually has a gasket in it
that seals against the end of the service port.Â* Usually they are 1/4
inch flare, but some equipment may have 3/8 flare.Â* I think one of my
HVAC units has one odd size cap.Â* On service equipment such as vacuum
pumps and evacuation pumps you can find them in brass or plastic used to
keep airborne dust out of the equipment when not in use.Â* Steel is
unlikely as it would react with the brass body of the service port.

If you are in the USA I'd be glad to send you one.Â* I have atleast a
half dozen brand new 1/4 inch flare caps in my box of HVAC service
stuff.Â* More than likely you can go to a local HVAC supplier and get one
on Monday quicker than I could mail one to you.

Many HVAC techs reuse them, but because of the gasket I treat them as a
replaceable service item.

Places like "Supply House" ship nationwide if you don't have a local
refrigeration supplier, and you would prefer to purchase them.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Goodman-...-Valve-Cap-Kit

I think it is unlikely that a big box supplier like Home Depot or Lowes
would have a service port cap, but a smaller well stocked local hardware
store might.Â* The chance is slim, but possible.

I believe they are available on Ebay as well.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro... odkw=hvac+cap

.... and if your standard manifold hoses fit on the service port without
an adapter then it probably uses a 1/4 inch flare cap.