Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Jointer or Aircraft carrier

On 8/15/2020 9:50 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/15/2020 7:52 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/14/2020 12:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Seriously, I'm not saying there isn't a need for a 16" jointer on
board an
aircraft carrier, just trying to understand how and when it would be
used.

I toured the USS Lexington, the grey ghost, when I was about 12 years
old. It is now permanently anchored where I grew up. It was still
operating at the time.Â* I remember riding the elevator and the rush of
air that got sucked with it as it went below deck....

Anyway the ship had a full woodworking shop.
You have to remember that these ships made battle ships look small and
had a crew that numbered in the thousands.Â* The carriers had a large
capacity for storage.Â* Keeping an inventory of wood on board would not
have been a big issue compared to "normal" sized ships of that era.

If you were in a battle at a time of war and your deck was damaged,
you did not go back to port to have repairs made.Â* You had to get the
airplanes back up in the air.Â* You worked with what you had.Â* You did
not want to be limited to equipment that was too small for what ever
task was needed.

I think the USS Enterprise is "Grey Ghost" and USS Lexington the "Blue
Ghost"...both were reported sunk by Japanese propaganda arm multiple times.

The latter point is the key one -- up through and until like the
Midway(?) the US still used the wood-overlay flight decks along with
whatever else may have had wood construction.

In wartime for which any US Navy ship is intended, one simply can't
afford to have anything limiting the immediate need; predicted or not.
Whatever you do, don't limit the ability to make either routine or
emergency repairs by the size of the toolset supplied.

--

You are right on the ghost thing. When I was a kid I remembered "ghost"
and I remembered the ship was grey. ;~)