Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problems drilling hard concrete and using screw anchors

On 15/08/2020 11:09, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/08/2020 21:48, Jeff Layman wrote:

The anchors have an overall diameter of 7.5mm. The solid "shaft" of the
bolt is 6mm in diameter, so the threads cut into the concrete by 0.75mm
on each side. I did see mention on one or two webpages of using an
impact driver, but I don't have one (somewhere I have a manual impact
driver, but I've never used it or have needed it. Perhaps that could
have been used to drive in the anchor bolts).

Its a shame the re-used the name, since a manual impact driver is not
really comparable to a powered one. (being designed to break free tight
fasteners rather than quickly drive screws etc with high torque and low
risk of cam out)

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...Disambiguation

I'm not sure I could have used a powered impact driver even if I had
one. The baseplate is 100 x 100mm. Welded asymmetrically to that is the
40 x 40mm post - about 5mm from one edge and 55mm from the other
(central between the other two edges. See close-up at
https://blackbourneiron.co.uk/collections/health-beauty-mobility-disability-medical-mobility-furniture-fixtures-handles-rails/products/wrought-iron-style-exterior-handrail-garden-railing-with-one-bolt-down-post).
I think that two holes would have been accessible for use with the
driver, but not the other two as the body of the driver would have got
in the way. Maybe the driver could be used at an angle with a universal
joint. Is that possible?

--

Jeff