Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Insulating a chest freezer

polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Saturday, 15 August 2020 09:42:25 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Well, I stuck a temperature probe in my old chest freezer and discovered
that its not really performing to spec. Its a 3/4 star rated freezer (I
think he 4* rating only applies when the fast freeze mode is switched on)
and the temperature seems to cycle between -15.5 and -12 C.

When I turned it off for the hours the temperature rose to -4 C which is
clearly not good for longer term food storage. Fortunately its very much a
€śspare€ť freezer thats only been pushed into service to allow us to
stockpile a few essentials should we have to self isolate.

Anyhow, I dont think that the insulation has obviously failed (the case
isnt bulging anywhere) but I was wondering if I could just glue some
kingspan/celotex etc to the outside? If I were to do this, should I glue
the foil side to the cabinet or have the foil to the outside?

Tim

Have you cleaned the back? All the "radiator" fins, etc.

Not recently but the radiator at the back definitely isnt choked with
fluff/dust. A Light coating of dust at most. Still, wont hurt to brush it
down.

Are you sure it has not lost some gas?

It may have, but given its age and €śnon-critical€ť use, I doubt its worth
regassing.

Have you considered placing a very modest fan to encourage better airflow?

Dont think its worth it really. Its not in an enclosed position and air
can circulate pretty freely.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls