Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Jointer or Aircraft carrier

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 12:15:16 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/14/2020 9:02 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 7:05:04 AM UTC-4, Just Another Joe wrote:
In article , Markem
wrote:

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...-joiner/717645
8489.html

Many years , I took a night class at the local tech school. They had a
16" jointer (I never knew they made them that big.) The instructor said
it was from the damage control department off of a Navy battleship.

Joe

I'd like to know what damage they were controlling with a 16" jointer.

I'm thinking there is more metal in a battleship than wood, but even if there
are large wooden beams, why would you need a 16" jointer - on board - to
repair them? Did they also have a stockpile of rough cut beams that they
would need to clean up before replacing whatever it was that got damaged?

Any idea what they would do with something that big?

The elevators and some decks were wood.

Sure, that makes sense. There is probably a lot of wood on an aircraft
carrier.

I'm still curious as to the use of a 16" jointer on a ship out at sea. What
would they be jointing in a damage control situation? Maybe using pieces
from one damaged area to fix another, leaving the other out of commission
until they back in dock?

When you joint something, you make it smaller, so unless they have an onboard
stockpile of wood for use in repair situations, you can't just joint the
blown up pieces and put them back where they came from.

I would think that any "spare parts" requiring the use of a 16" jointer would
be back at the shipyards - unless they stock huge boards on the ship.

Seriously, I'm not saying there isn't a need for a 16" jointer on board an
aircraft carrier, just trying to understand how and when it would be used.