Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Jointer or Aircraft carrier

On 8/14/2020 9:02 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 7:05:04 AM UTC-4, Just Another Joe wrote:
In article , Markem
wrote:

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...-joiner/717645
8489.html

Many years , I took a night class at the local tech school. They had a
16" jointer (I never knew they made them that big.) The instructor said
it was from the damage control department off of a Navy battleship.

Joe

I'd like to know what damage they were controlling with a 16" jointer.

I'm thinking there is more metal in a battleship than wood, but even if there
are large wooden beams, why would you need a 16" jointer - on board - to
repair them? Did they also have a stockpile of rough cut beams that they
would need to clean up before replacing whatever it was that got damaged?

Any idea what they would do with something that big?

Specifically, no...but I would put it down in the category of being
prepared for anything that might come up...I also suspect there was a
lot more likelihood/need 50+ years ago of the vintage the machine and
ship are/were than present.

I've seen a lot of similar equipment on surplus military base auctions
over the years of WW II or prior vintage, some of which also had
designations that indicated had been on board ship, not just land-based
shops.