Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default FTTS (Fibre to the shed)

On Thursday, 13 August 2020 12:59:08 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi All,

I have settled on running my mains cable to the shed in buried conduit and have decided a fixed network link makes sense.

I was going to run CAT5 (naughty but cheap (or so I thought)). But it turns out you can get pre terminated fibre patch leads for next to nothing.

Kenable list an LC-LC in (IIRC) 50/125.

Would this be suitable (Probably with some kind of connector converter) to use with a pair of cheap 10/100 media converters?

Or if not, what spec of fibre should I go for (that will ideally do nowt in the short term, 10/100 in the medium term and GB in the long term (unless GB media converters are also silly prices now, in which case Ill not bother going 10/100).

What about a simple TP-Link N300 Wireless Outdoor Access Point? (Or similar - there are other makes and models.)

If your shed is not too, too far away that would likely do your shed and provide good wifi access across your garden.