Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Wasps

On 13/08/2020 15:36, Jeff Layman wrote:

Wasps do not return to a nest they have made the previous year. A queen
leaves to start a nest elsewhere. Any remaining wasps will die over winter.

That is certainly basically correct, but I have seen suggestions that
where very large structures are found typically in places such as yours,
they will repeatedly use a previous entrance and "route", building a new
nest adjacent to a previous one. So once the season is over, I would be
inclined to try to explore the entrance and perhaps remove any signs of
their "walk-way" and all of the old nest(s). You probably won't be able
to block off their entrance hole effectively but perhaps you could
locate one of those "vapour" type loft insecticides just inside the
entrance to discourage them from getting going. I suspect that, like
ants, they have a good sense of "smell" and will be attracted to old
wasp pathways.