Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Panel off meter?

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 00:45:25 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 12 Aug 2020 01:14:01 +0000, Trevor Lee
Jennings m wrote:

So I have a stilited house. The floor sealed with spray foam Insulation, and
sealed with hardiplank. At the meter, I have a disconnect after it, then goes
into the house. I am wanting to run 3 basic outlets for small draw, and one
outlet for a 110v plug and play hot tub I have downstairs. It would be a pain
to run new wire from upstairs in the house, and feed it downstairs somehow. My
question is, could I tie into the disconnect I have downstairs, and put
another panel next to it so I can run new servises for downstairs?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/py
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/pz

I can't answer your electrical question, but is your house a stilted
house? Is that because of expected flooding? I notice that the house
across the street is not. I don't understand that. Are your neighbors
stupid?

Long ago, 1968, I drove around the flat area several miles south of New
Orleans, a very flat area I'm pretty sure flooded at least once a year,
and some houses were on stilts, but others, not old ones either, pretty
new, were on the ground. Why would they do that?

Some houses are Pre-FIRM and were not regulated by FEMA.
The current rate maps are somewhat draconian and in some places might
represent a required 200-300 year flood elevation.

OTOH there are other places where nobody thinks of a flood, mortgage
lenders do not require it but you can get flooded. My sister had one
of those houses in Maryland.