Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default FTTP installation

On 10/08/2020 17:19, Andrew wrote:
On 10/08/2020 11:19, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

I can't see them managing to complete the "full fibre" network by
2025.

Is that still the target timescale?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50042720

Why the hang-up with gigabit speeds?

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8392/CBP-8392.pdf

I have ~75 Mbps from a BT cabinet that I can *just* see if I lean out
of the window.Â* Alternatively I could have up to 500 Mbps from virgin
FTTP where they have what is apparently called a "toby" in the
footpath at the end of my drive, same as this ...

https://www.chatteris.biz/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_2286-Medium.jpg

I have 26 Mbps from BT FTTC and have never used more than 10Giga in a
month.

Well according to my stats:

"During the time period 1st August 2020 to 12th August 2020 your
bandwidth use was:

238.25 GB Download
8.2 GB Upload

The figures above cover 11 days."

The quantity of data will be influenced by the speed though.

What on earth DO people do with such massive speeds ?.

Slightly different issue. Much depends on what you do... Here it would
be quite common to have three video streams running at once, and since
the link is capable that would aauto adjust to three high def streams.

If you are a content producer, then having "only" 30Mbps upload speed
could actually be quite limiting. Same can apply for things like online
backup or cloud storage.

--
Cheers,

John.