Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Submerged softwood?

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 03:47:13 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi folks,

I know this isn't quite metalwork, but is it a shop-related question and nothing to do with politics, so here goes...

If you take a piece of light softwood, such as pine or fir, and keep it submerged under water for a really long time - months or years - does it eventually absorb enough water so that it no longer floats?

Anyone know? I am assuming that the wood is not coated or treated, but my question refers to the behaviour of the wood before decay takes place.

Thanks!

Chris

Yeah, softwoods will become waterlogged and sink. If they sink into
cold oxygen free water of the right PH they will not rot. Even if the
bark is on the tree. In Lake Washington, for example, there are a lot
of trees that slid into the lake as they rode a huge landslide. If I
remember correctly the landslide occurred about a 1000 years ago and
was cause by a really big earthquake. The trees are owned by the
state. About 25 0r 30 years ago, I think it was, a fellow was pulling
these trees up in the dead of night because the old growth timber is
so valuable. I think the trees were hoisted onto a barge. Anyway, he
got busted. Ah, here's a link:
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/19...-forest-faces/
Eric