Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] tony.h.collings@outlook.com is offline

Default What happened toThompsons Water seal?

On Wednesday, 20 September 2006 22:47:12 UTC+1, Shopdog wrote:
I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish my
deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older) single gal
is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the product seems to
have changed.
Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a concrete
section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of the patio done
with the older pail looks fine.

Searcher

I have recently re-ordered Thompson Water seal and was surprised to find that product is very different to what I had before. As I am seeking to protect timber for a listed (protected) building, I have carried out a comparative water penetration test with a strip that I had treated with the old product. The result was dramatic, the previously treated wood shed water without any penetration whilst the new product showed insignificant improvement to untreated wood. I will not use this new product as it simply does not seal the wooden surfaces and offers no added rainwater protection