Posted to alt.home.repair
%%[_2_] %%[_2_] is offline

Default 58% of Police Support Black Lives Matter - POLL

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 08/11/2020 01:36 AM, %% wrote:
Quite a bit of what I was taught in high school
was useful but I do have two uni degrees.

Not much of the research MSc has been much
use but it did get me into computers back when
it wasnt possible to have your own computer.

The first two years of college has served me well.

They didnt with me.

It was a background in physics, chemistry, and math without the
specialization of the second two years.

I was completely turned off when the fool teaching
pure maths spent the entire lecture proving that
when going between two points on either side of
a line that would cross that line.

I also did chemistry, applied maths and physics.

My research MSc was in physical chemistry and
involved using a PDP8S, the serial one, to measure
fluorescent decay to sub nano second level and
crunching the numbers it produced on an IBM
360/50 that I ran myself at night.

I thought punching cards to run FORTRAN IV programs on a 360/30 sucked.

Yeah, specially when you were lucky to get one run a day.
Thats why I ran it myself at night. Multiple runs were easy.

I primarily worked with hardware until microprocessors showed up. Relay
logic, TTL logic, it's all logic so jumping to 8080 assembler was no big
deal. Obviously that was all on the job training.

No on the job training for me, didnt even do the DEC courses.

My first real job was running the PDP9 and we stole
the design of the PDP9/PDP15 interface to save the
cost of that to interface the mag tape to that. Wire
wrapped TTL in a big draw of wire wrap sockets.
The PDP9 was discrete transistor flip chip modules
and the PDP15 was TTL. With the number crunching
on a CDC 3600 and later 7600.

We dud multitasking version of of the OS for the PDP9
using my idea for the design of that with the same
concept that was later seen with TSX11 for the PDP11

That is exactly what Bowman is looking for.

Its actually Ed and he isnt actually looking for that,
anyone who completes high school is all he requires
and with the modern system of everyone who shows
up every day when they arent sick gets to graduate, that
requirement only shows that they will turn up every day.

Thank you for clearing that up. I tend to skip over the formal education
part of a resume and look at what the person has actually done.

Me too.

I'll take an illiterate guy who can turn his hand to any project in the
plant to a high school graduate that can't put together a kid's swing set.

Me too.