Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default 58% of Police Support Black Lives Matter - POLL

On 08/11/2020 01:22 AM, %% wrote:

"%%" wrote in message

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 08/10/2020 12:36 PM, %% wrote:
Yeah, another mate of mine can't even work out how to
use the most basic 4 function calculator, but is a great
mechanic and does a lot of work land clearing using
****ing great Steiger tractors that are as big as a house.

I had a plant maintenance guy who was illiterate. I got a hint when
he hung an electrical panel upside down despite the 'This Side Up'
sticker.

I sent him to the rental place to pick up a powder actuated tool
(Hilti) for a conduit run we were hanging. He came back without it.
There was a 10 question written test about basic safety and that was
a no go. I went down, filled out the form, came back with the Hilti,
and he proceeded to run conduit. He could even bend conduit with a
Hickey (conduit bender) and have it come out right. I usually wound
up with a mirror image of what I really wanted.

That's a different issue to someone who decides that they
won't be taught anything useful in the last couple of years
of high school and who choose to start working instead.

Sorry, presumably you meant that those who haven't
completed high school can still be useful employees.

Precisely. When I hired people at that level I looked for those that
could get things done. Even now when I'm hiring programmers I'm more
interested in what they've done than if they have a college degree. The
guy who got bored, dropped out, and started building websites for local
businesses is my guy.