Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Submerged softwood?

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 03:47:13 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi folks,

I know this isn't quite metalwork, but is it a shop-related question and nothing to do with politics, so here goes...

If you take a piece of light softwood, such as pine or fir, and keep it submerged under water for a really long time - months or years - does it eventually absorb enough water so that it no longer floats?

Anyone know? I am assuming that the wood is not coated or treated, but my question refers to the behaviour of the wood before decay takes place.

Thanks!

Chris

It can indeed. Old lumber holding ponds are proof of this.

__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.