Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FTTP installation

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 20:21:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

ADSL2+ will do the 500 kbps required for voice only provision

over
3 or 4 miles of copper. Though I think ADSL goes out the window
along with the the PSTN. But the technology is there to provide
such a link over a simple copper pair.

Isn't that 500 kbps expressly what they will provide on a fibre
connection when provisioning only for a basic connection? Not ADSL

of
any sort. A single voice connection wouldn't need that much
bandwidth.

64k

For 1 channel of ISDN (which also goes out the window with the PSTN).
You had to have two channels with ISDN so 128 kbps plus 16 kbps for
signalling = 144 kbps.

As I say the technology exists for a pure data connection suitable
for "new POTS" to be provided over copper without any expensive
repeaters. Just change the rear plate of a current analogue NTE.

I can't see them managing to complete the "full fibre" network by
2025. The orginal target was 2033... The water has since become
middied by the goal posts being shifted to "gigabit capable" which
can include techonologies other than FTTP, like 5G.

--
Cheers
Dave.