Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Gluing Aluminium

On 09/08/2020 02:03, wrote:
On Saturday, 8 August 2020 21:15:27 UTC+1, Pinnerite wrote:
On 08/08/2020 16:33, newshound wrote:
On 08/08/2020 14:24, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 08/08/2020 12:23, Pinnerite wrote:
I have some cast aluminium garden chairs.
The screw holding one of the arms got loose and I forgot to tighten it.

Yesterday the top of the arm snapped off, leaving the screw in place.

I have the arm and the s,mall piece that snapped off.
The ends are clean and thankfully not shiny smooth but bright
non-the-less.

If it takes any amount of force, e.g. from someone leaning on it, get
someone to weld it, or brace and glue it. I'd use Araldite
slow-setting were I gluing.

I have now idea what's permissible in NGs these daze, but could you
put pics somewhere and post some means to find them?

+1. It all depends on the area too. You are unlikely to be able to
butt-join a thin cast section. But if it is such that you can bridge the
crack and then fill the non-visible side with a good epoxy you might get
away with it.

I have decided to try the two part Gorilla.
Welding is not possible.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

PU is no use. In winter when it stays wet it'll fail completely.

NT

Gorilla two part is Epoxy.